Most of us who are diet conscious believe that we need to have low-fat foods and stay away from high-fat foods which are not good for us. Fats, in our diet, are often considered to be a ‘dietary enemy’ and something which we need to be worried about. Thus, when we hear about healthy fats, we are often confused. However, it’s a fact that there are a few high-fat foods which should be a part of our diet on a regular basis.
However, it’s important to understand, what the phrase ‘healthy fat’ means. It actually refers to polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat. Healthy fats are known to offer heart health benefits and help our body to fight some crucial diseases. These fats might help in reducing LDL cholesterol which is known to clog the arteries. Research suggests that these fats can help patients with elevated blood sugar levels, thereby doing their bit to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
So, how are monounsaturated fats and the different polyunsaturated fats good for the body?
Here are some ways how these fats can help you stay healthy and fit?
- Healthy fats help in reducing the chances of abnormal heart rhythms.
- These fats are known to reduce the risk of heart disease and also stroke.
- Regular consumption of these fats can also reduce the low cholesterol levels and increase good HDL.
- These fats are also known to reduce low blood pressure.
- They are also known to reduce triglycerides in the body which are closely related to heart disease. They also help in fighting inflammation.
- These fats also help in prevention of artherosclerosis or in hardening or narrowing of arteries.
When these healthy fats are regularly added in the diet, it might help a person in feeling satisfied after a meal. These fats are also known to reduce hunger which helps in promoting weight loss.
Now, since you will be including monounsaturated fat in your diet, you need to know more about their sources as well. These include olives, nuts which include pecans, cashews, almonds, peanuts and hazelnuts. Avocados and olive, sesame oils, canola are good sources of healthy fats.
How to add healthy fats to diet?
Now, you no longer have to keep counting your fat grams. All you need to do is have a rich diet which is rich in fruits, beans and vegetables. You need to have a moderate quantity of dairy, fatty fish and little quantity of red meat. It is also important to stay away from all kinds of processed meals and occasional fried food. Here are some diet tips which can help in including healthy fats in your diet.
- You need to keep away trans fats from the diet. Thus, check the food labels before consuming food. You should have lesser quantity of fast food and commercially baked food.
- Limit saturated fats – You can do this by replacing red meat with fish, poultry, beans and nuts.
- Have omega-3 fats daily – You can include different fishes in your diet along with plant sources such as soybean oil, canola oil, flaxseed oil, walnuts and more.
Last but not the least, it’s a healthy habit to cook food with olive oil. It is one of the healthiest ways to have your daily food.